Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Josh's New Orleans Reflection


My name is Josh Casper. I am eighteen years old, and am a high school student at Hearthstone School.

This year for our service trip we went to New Orleans and this is what I thought about our trip.


April 6 we left Reagan National Airport from Washington D.C. and at arrived in the Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans that afternoon. The first two days our class gave a helping hand to the people affected by Hurricane Katrina who lost their homes. All the students and teachers helped rebuild two houses that were destroyed by Katrina. When we were not working our group went into downtown New Orleans to experience the culture of the city through their music, food and people.


My favorite part of the trip was seeing Glen David Andrews and Amanda Shaw play at the French Quarter Festival Friday night. The Glen David Andrews Band was a lot of fun because they had people of all ages playing with them, including: an 11 year old drummer and a 13 year old rapper. In the middle of the show Glen David Andrews crowd surfed all the way to where we were standing, so I had to help get him back to the stage while he surfed the crowd.


Another one of my favorite things about this trip was rebuilding the houses. I know it meant a lot to those people who have been out of their homes for the past five years.


The last thing I really liked about our trip was the swamp tour. Being able to experience the Louisiana swamps and rivers was a great experience. Seeing live alligators in the wild was the most exciting part of the swamp tour. I would definitely do the swamp tour again.



No comments:

Post a Comment